Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ramblin' Edo


Oh to be a long-haul trucker.

I love to drive! I have driving fantasies. I know when I'm much too stressed because I start dwelling on driving away. The where doesn't so much matter as the how--the car. For a long time it centered on Portland, Oregon where my husband went to school and we lived for those first few years of marriage. Now, it could be anywhere.

For the last couple of years I've made a loop from SLC to Jackson Hole, past the Grand Tetons, through Yellowstone and then down through Bear Lake back to SLC. It takes about 17 hours. It is total beauty overload. I've done it alone, which I'm not sure is wise, but it sure is a way to get time to think.

I also really like the drive through Montana up through Glacier National Park into Waterton Canada. Montana really does have "Big Sky" and the Rockies are austere and threatening and inspiring.

I drive pretty much the whole time on family vacations. I feel like I'm the one making all that scenery happen--the magical tour director. When we make a road trip I feel as if the car is the machine that somehow causes the transformation from familiar to fantastic. Planes are too fast and disorienting. Although I don't love the family road trip that lasts longer than 12 hours!

If you don't already think I am mentally unstable here comes the kicker. Disclaimer: I am happily married and I love my family. My love of driving goes hand in hand with leavin' songs. Those are my favorite types of song in the Blues and Country genres and the tackier the better. I love "I'm leaving on a Jet Plane," "Wichita Lineman" (Which is really a song about a rambling electrician--a RAMBLING ELECTRICIAN), "Ramblin' Man," "Me & Bobby McGee" (Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose) & "He Thinks He'll Keep Her." These songs are so deliciously selfish--something I don't even let myself think about--they do.

So don't worry--I'm not going anywhere--at least not for long.

2 comments:

  1. I happen to know you occasionally take your family with you. I bet your husband is thinking "If you love her set her free... If she comes back to you maybe you will have her for a few more months."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those days when I picture a long road ahead of me... And then someone hits me in the head with a light-saber, and someone else spills goldfish all over.

    Driving isn't what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete