Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Creepiest Place on Earth

(For some reason I cannot get this post to format correctly--please ignore the spaces.)

We visited Oregon for our summer vacation. We spent 4 days in Portland and 4 days at the beach. We had a great time. We thought driving up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood would be a nice Sunday activity. It’s a bit of a drive from Portland, but it was a beautiful sunny day so we made the trek.

Now , for your information, Timberline Lodge was used in some exterior shots for the movie, The Shining. When you approach the mountain as well as the lodge their austere nature can be otherworldly.






















The Shining is really the only horror movie I have seen. I saw it for the first time at a slumber party in high school and being of a highly sensitive nature I spent most of the movie in the bathroom reading a magazine. It is also one of my husband’s favorite movies and every time he watches it, just hearing the music sends me screaming outside. 

So, the exterior of the hotel creeps me out, BUT the interior--Oy vey!





































The interiors for the movie were not filmed at the lodge—they were filmed on a sound stage. The interiors at Timberline do not even look like the ones in the movie. Yet, the inside of Timberline still managed to raise the hair on the back of my neck.  It is dark, claustrophobic, and I know it supposed to be rustic, but it somehow for me it crosses a line.







































































Now for the decor and I must make a disclaimer, Timberline Lodge is heralded for its decor, so it may have been the way I was feeling on the day, or  my small mind going small places.









Here is one of the architects Gilbert Stanley Underwood. Note the little Timberline he is holding, the small crow and the dog with a leash falling like blood from his neck. It struck me as a spine chilling.


Does it feel a little medieval torture chamber to you?



This is the Women's Restroom


















1 comment: