Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The moment you've all been waiting for--Fruit Cake #2!

It is time for fruit cake #2 while I am still high from the success of fruit cake #1.  This is a sophisticated concoction. My grandmother wrote, "The following recipe makes one of the best white fruit cakes you could ever dream of."  It is called "Fred's White Fruit Cake."  I decided to check with my mother to see exactly who this Fred character was, but she hadn't heard of him or of white fruit cake for that matter!  He must have skills to be in the cookbook though so I forged ahead.

Here's the recipe, once again my comments/changes are in red

Fred's White Fruit Cake

1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
4 cups flour
1 t cream of tartar
1/2 t soda
1/3cups sweet milk (no idea what this is, neither did my mom, so I used half sweetened condensed milk and reg  milk!!??)
12 egg whites, beaten stiff
2 pounds white raisins (you heard me 2 pounds - I used regular because that's all I had )
1/2 pound candied pineapple sliced thin
1/4 pound candied lemon peel (cut into small pieces)
1/4 pound candied cherries (leave whole)
1/4 pound candied orange peel (cut in small pieces)
(For all of the candied fruit I bough already cut up fruit cake mix in a two pound container - totally cheating)
2 1/2 cups blanched almonds
1 cup shredded coconut

A plethora of expensive ingredients--again.


Soak the raisins overnight and dry thoroughly. (I so did NOT do this.) Mix with other fruit and nuts.

Cream the butter and sugar until very light.

Sift the flour and cream of tartar three times. (I just kind of mixed it in nicely.)

Add to the butter and sugar mixture alternately wiht the milk to which has been added the soda. (Again I don't know why she likes adding the soda to wet incredients before incorporating, it must be some kind of chemistry thing I do not understand.)

Fold in the fruit lightly.  (I had to get out the BIG spoon again--and I could not do it lightly.)

Fold in the beaten egg whites. (The mixture was quite dense I ended up having to break the dough with my hands and then fold in the egg whites. There is hardly any dough--with lots of fruit and nuts, but amazingly it all sticks together.)



Prepare four loaf tins by greasing well and lining with greased wax paper. I oiled 10 mini loaf tins and filled them 3/4s the way up. Because they were disposable foil pans I didn't need to line with paper because I knew I could get the fruit cake out.  Bake at 275 degrees F. for about 2 hours or until baked when tested. I baked for about 1 1/2 hours in the smaller tins and I checked often. 

Remove from pans, remove wax paper and cool. Paint with fruit juice. (Be careful not to use too much and soak.) I didn't remove the bread from the pans until it cooled a bit, then I turned them upside down on a cooling rack. I didn't paint with fruit juice, because I didn't want them sticky when I wrapped them up.

Wrap in wax paper and then in foil.  Fred says he stores his cakes in a stone crock to which he adds a cut apple. Isn't that charming!  Then occasionally he unwraps the cakes and repaints with juice and wraps them again. keep them in a cool place. Also charming and a little scary.

Here's the final product.


This cake has a chewier texture less like a cake and more like a cookie bar than the "Rich, Dark Fruit Cake" recipe. It also has a much more candied fruit flavor because there aren't any other flavorings like cinnamon or nutmeg.
Yes, the middle should be up--not DOWN! Thanks for pointing that out.
Look at that piece--quite a little fruit cake fiesta going on there!!!

Well, two of the four fruit cakes are baked. I am already exhausted.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say Fruitcake #2 is the best of the worst! I think I would love it if they left out the "fruit". Do you think Fred knows that isn't what we think of as fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think all fruit cakes would be best with just dried fruit and nuts--but I am going for strict interpretation here--after all these are grandma's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is actually really pretty. You can't really go wrong with a combined 3.5 pounds of butter and sugar. I would ask for a sample but I have already eaten enough lemon and orange peel this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you really ever have enough lemon and orange peel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother (85 yrs old) has told me that sweet milk is just un-soured milk, which was also included in many recipes passed down to her. Our white fruit cake recipe is similar to yours and has been in the family since the late 1800s at least.

    ReplyDelete