Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Shocker--Defeated by the Fad Diet

UpDayDownDayDiet goes down, downtown, all the way down, down into the garbage, down into the underground, down, down, down! Did I make that clear. The first week was fine, but the second week was impossible, I just couldn't do the 500 calorie days any more. It's as if my brain just screamed, "No!" Plus everyone kept telling me it sounded like an eating disorder so the support was LOW. I even had my college age daughter tell me it sounded, "Very unhealthy."

So I quit. 
Week 1:  Lost 4 pounds
Week 2:  Gained 4 pounds!
1st day of week three: Screamed and re-grouped.

I've only quit mid-month on 2 diets--Weight Watchers and UpDayDownDay. Each at 2 weeks and so I am giving myself permission to quit diets if I find myself resorting to old habits and gaining weight. These two diets have nothing in common. Weight Watchers is universally heralded as healthy, UpDayDownDay has yet to be heralded period.

So I've come up with a couple of theories about myself.

#1 There are two Edens.

(My husband will beg to differ he's known about 300 Edens but that's a story for another day)

There is Sugar Brained Eden and Non Sugar Brained Eden (herafter known as SBE and NSBE). I know I've blogged about the evils of sugar before, but until I get this right I have to blog about it again.

NSBE is serene, in control, thinks of others, can plan a healthy meal, waits until she's hungry to eat, likes herself, has pretty ankles that don't hurt and feels happy (maybe even a little self-righteous).

SBE is frantic, scattered, justifies bad behavior in eating and sometimes life, has a swollen face and ankles, has a cluttered mind, and mostly just feels out of control.

When a diet seems to allow sugar and refined carbohydrates NSBE jumps for joy and thus begins the spiraling descent that leads to a very bad place in sugarville.

So a diet that includes refined carbs is just not for me.

#2  I've learned that severe cutbacks are not for me. They trigger the "Rebellious Eden" (RE) and no one wants to see that. Especially me--who has time to be rebellious? Especially with the end of the year coming up and Judgement Day on the past year's resolutions.

So don't laugh at my rememdy but I had to get off sugar quick. I'm doing two weeks of Atkins just to get off the bad stuff and then I'll start a new more balanced diet.


Go away beautiful Sugar!

4 comments:

  1. Eden, I must say I tried this one. I thought I could do. Same result as you. First week minus 4, second week, up 4. Net nothing for starvation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I can't believe we had the same results! You know what they say about great minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid Diet! Good work though Eden, you are a trooper for even trying that one, though I did say something like 'that is a nutty diet.' Hey, worth a shot.

    I am not so much sugar brained, but more PopTart and Donut Brained. Those are my downfalls (as well as cinnamon bears, chocolate, scones, Mike and Ikes, swedish fish, sweet and sours...yeah, I have a lot of downfalls).

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are quitting that crazy diet! I think the diets that make us absolutely crazy will lead to weight gain later. Always.

    You go, chica.

    ReplyDelete