Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Vegetable Salad Dressing

I have learned one thing from cooking my grandmother's recipes: We cook much differently now. Based on this conclusion I  have to reiterate my disclaimer--Cook at your own risk. I love the bread recipe, but without additives like lecithin etc., it is tempermental. It is just a little trickier cooking recipes that are over 50 years old, but it is like a little history lesson. I think it's fun.

Here is my grandmother's advice for summer cooking:

"You will notice that almost every menu is an oven dinner and in each case the dishes may be prepared ready for the oven in the morning and set in the refrigerator until time to bake before dinner in the evening.  All the fuss and mess can be over early in the day. Organization is all it takes to discover extra time in which to read!"

I like that advice--anything that gives me more time to read. Hey, here's a thought, order in pizza--that gives a lot of time to read!

Today's recipe is an illustration on the difference in cooking styles.  I enjoyed this mayo based salad dressing, but it seemed very old fashioned to my kids and I could barely get them to try it. It is quite yummy though and I thought it was a great change of pace from vinegar and oil dressings. I will make this again, but it probably won't be my go to for salad dressing.

Vegetable Salad Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1 T lemon juice
1 t sugar
1/2 green pepper chopped fine
3 T finely chopped green onion
1/2 cup finely chopped, well-drained cucumber (I put this in a colander and let it sit, but it didn't drain much)
1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
1 t horseradish (I sadly had to omit this at my house because I am the only one who loves horseradish!)
Salt to taste (I added pepper, because I love pepper)

1 head iceberg lettuce cut in wedges


Combine all ingredients and chill.


Serve over lettuce wedges.




2 comments:

  1. Yummy! You'll have to make this for me when I'm back in a few weeks! :D

    ReplyDelete