Friday, October 16, 2009

A Fond Farewell to Vegan, Hello Ornish "Spectrum"

My Vegan experience is over and I must say I really liked it. I am shocked. I thought it would be really hard and that I would always be craving something, but thanks to Great Harvest Bread and Whole Foods I ate really well and enjoyed myself. In fact I think I could do this one forever. It's the first diet that I'm sorry to see go. Life is just full of surprises.

Final Vegan Stats:
Week 1 = 5 Pounds
Week 2 = 1 Pound
Week 3 = 1 Pound
Week 4 = 1 Pound
Total = 8 Pounds!!!!

I've lost a total of 20 pounds in 2009! Hip Hip Hurray! Only 2 million more to go!

Now onto this month. I liked Vegan so much and because my system gets a little upset with big changes I'm going to go the “The Spectrum” program by Dr. Dean Ornish. This diet is similar and focuses mostly on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. It has more options than vegan because the program also allows for non-fat dairy and egg whites.

Dr. Ornish lists foods in 5 groups from most healthful to least healthful. I am going to stick to group 1 mostly, and some group 2 foods. I’ve listed the website in the sidebar if you are interested in what the food groups are. I have missed seafood so I may dip into group 3 foods for a little bit of ocean goodness.

This diet is lower in fat than the vegan, but has more options. Cross your fingers!

2 comments:

  1. Eden- you are one determined woman! How are you resisting, while being such a great cook?? I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Mom! Way to be one healthy lady. :)

    ReplyDelete