Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Year Without: "I'll be Fine in 2009"

I finished "A Year Without" on February 17, 2007. I bought 15 things that year: 2 replacement capri pants, 1 pair replacement jeans, 1 pair of black pants -& jacket-& shirt-& shoes (justified because I was going to a writing conference and just had too look great--I can justify anything) 2 flats of flowers, 3 books on writing (again the same justification) and 3 hair color appointments.

All in all it was fun--it felt like a game. The only hard time was Christmas. I really wanted a special Christmas outfit, but it was so close to the end I was able to hold on.

It turned out that not buying things wasn't hard for me, because it isn't my true weakness. I knew at the time that the experience would have to be repeated and would have to address more directly my core weaknesses.

Well that time has come baby! I am ready!

I'm still left with a weight problem and an ability to waste an immense amount of time. So here goes--I exhale deeply and wonder if I really am ready. Yes, I am. This year I will form a two pronged attack on my two greatest problems.

First, I will not eat sugar: candy, cakes, brownies, cookies etc. for one year. Second I will stay away from refined carbohydrates: white flour, rice etc. Third, I will only eat foods with a fat content of 4g or less per serving. One exception and this may seem like a cop-out, but on the 17th of each month I may eat anything I want! (17 is my favorite number!)

Second prong attack--this is giving me pause. Give me a moment to collect myself. This has already been hard this morning. . . . .I will not watch television for one year. I watched an Oprah years ago with Alice Walker (whom I love) and she said something like, and I approximate the quote here, "Why do people let television steal their dreams." I've thought about that a lot since then. I have dreams and I think I am one of those people. I have a DVR and I can watch an enormous amount of t.v. really fast. I can fit two dramas into an hour and feel so good about myself because I've managed my time so well. Then, I come to realize that I'm watching 3 times as many shows because of it--and I'm hooked.

Sometimes desperate times require drastic measures.

This may kill me--no Law & Order, Jack Bauer, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, Star Trek re-runs (I know I'm really laying out all my special secrets here), CHUCK, The Office, 30 Rock, surreptitious views of an occasional General Hospital (a remnant of my childhood), and the list could go on and on and on. Yep, that's it, I wrote it down. Seriously--my heart is pounding as I write this--it feels as if I've stepped off a cliff.

These shows will be out on DVD next year, won't they?

I don't know if it's possible to take two crutches away at one time. I may be crawling through 2009, but I'm going to do my darnedest!

8 comments:

  1. Holy cow Eden, that is a lot to take away! Do you believe in cheating, cause I do. Or, are you a rule breaker, because you know I am (i.e. our last girls night out). Anyway good luck with that. I'll enjoy all those things for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I hope movies don't count because I was looking forward to you being my movie partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movies do NOT count. I can go to MOVIES and am available almost any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EDEN!! I like the food resolution...good for you. But the tv goal? Are you kidding me? That is a tragedy. Good for you, but I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I will, for you, act out each Battlestar, 24 and Dexter episode on every Sunday so that you are not actually missing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam acting out Dexter... that could be interesting.

    As for the cheating, I just have this feeling that you will succeed, and yet I can't believe it! You are incredibly tenacious, and I know for a fact I would not be able to survive without the t.v.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I am inspired...not enough to give up TV, but I am amazed by your will power.

    I am so thankful Sam will reenact everything for you...I always thought he was better than the real thing anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eden, I love your blog! i read an article a couple of years ago about a writer who decided to go without for a year...I have thought about it many times. Just like you I have a closet full of basic items, thinking each new one will be the one that makes me feel or look great, ha. I am a little worried about the no fat/carb/sugar thing...Recipe club will HAVE to be scheduled on the 17th for this year! Thanks for sharing. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling Eden--I have a lot to say about this. In fact I wrote a brilliant response to your blog just moments ago but it was deleted as I looked at all of your other posts...brilliant words gone in flash...then I thought maybe my response would be more appropriatly emailed to you directly. Which is what I will do...Can't wait to see what I write you....xoxo Tink

    ReplyDelete